Sunday, March 29, 2015

Guns of the 1902 Sears Catalog

With only one semi-automatic gun (the Browning-designed Colt 1902) the guns for sale, by mail order no less, in the 1902 Sears-Roebuck Catalog were a fudd's paradise. Hunting and target guns abounded. Not a single modern or recent surplus rifle is contained in the catalog (except for perhaps a nameless musket). The Krag-Jorgenson, or Springfield M1892, and the M1895 Lee Navy were current issue weapons. In the ammunition section, nary a single Spitzer bullet is to be seen. 'Nitro power' was all the rage, along with those hand-twisted Damascus steel barrels. These pages are full of marvels, like the abundant numbers of handguns, proving that gun ownership for self-defense is nothing new.

Note about the image quality: I photographed this with my freehand and my iPhone. The quality is less than I would prefer, but its the best I could do with what I've got. 



































Dynamite! Seriously, dynamite for sale in a mail-order catalog.



-G. C. 

No comments:

Post a Comment